- Thor: The Dark World is a sequel of the original Marvel film Thor.
- Unlike the first film, it was directed by Alan Taylor, who is also known for directing Lost, Sex and the City, Game of Thrones, and Terminator Genisys. Taylor became director after the director of the first film, Kenneth Branagh, could not do so due to timing, and Patty Jenkins also backed out.
- It was produced by Marvel Enterprises and Walt Disney Productions.
- It had a 170 million dollar budget compared to the first film which only had 150 million.
- Stars of the film include: Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Natalie Portman as Jane Foster and Tom Hiddleston as Loki.
- The idea of the second Thor film was suggested in April 2011 just before the first film was released. But, in January 2012 the film had to hire a new screenwriter to rewrite the script. Filming commenced in September 2012.
- The start of filming took place in Surrey in England. In mid October 2012 filming moved to Iceland, and in late October it continued in London at Greenwich. Other filming locations included Wembley, Stonehenge, Borough Haymarket and Hayes.
- A lot of the film was done in CGI as the majority of it took place in the city of Asgard. The director of photography decided to film the movie using an Arri Alexa Plus with Panovision Anamorphic lenses, with Red Epic cameras for second unit filming.
- Problems: The production of the film faced some issues when Jaimie Alexander was injured on set by slipping over while walking in the rain. They also faced an issue just before production started as the original director, Patty Jenkins, backed out due to 'creative differences' and so had to be replaced by Alan Taylor.
- A lot of the film heavily relied on CGI and other visual effects to create elements of the film such as Asgard, the alignment of the nine planets, the spaceship and Heimdahl's viewing outpost.
- In August 2013 IMAX corperation and Marvel Entertainment announced that the film would be digitally re-mastered into IMAX 3D format and released into IMAX 3D theatres internationally.
- Also in August, Taylor took some extra shoots (or re-shoots) with Hiddleston and was about to do more with Hopkins. He said that this was only because they were adding ideas for extra scenes as they went along.
- Such marketing techniques used for this film were the trailer, a two-issue comic book prelude, a poster, extra footage released by characters in the film and an attraction at Disneyland.
- The Premiere of the film was held on 8th November 2013 at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood.